Chair Amber Gove (6A04) called the Advisory Neighborhood (ANC) 6A meeting to order at Miner Elementary School, 601 15th St. NE, with Commissioners Brian Alcorn (6A08), Ruth Ann Hudson (6A05), Sondra Phillips-Gilbert (6A07), Mike Soderman (6A03), Phil Toomajian (6A02) and Stephanie Zimny (6A06) in attendance. Commissioner Marie Claire Brown (6A01) was absent.
C Street NE Rehabilitation Project Updates
The C Street NE Rehabilitation Project includes changes to traffic lanes, parking and bike lanes along a stretch of C Street NE and North Carolina Ave. NE between approximately 14th Street and 21st Street NE. The overall design will remove one travel lane from both the east and west bound directions and use that space to add a bike track separated from the street by a narrow green space and parking for residents. Among other proposed improvements, this project will also upgrade wheelchair ramps, roadway drainage, street lighting and road markings along the corridor. The design phase will be completed this July with construction to begin in spring of 2020. Specific design details and maps of the project can be found by visiting CStreetNE.com.
District Department of Transportation (DDOT) Director Jeff Marootian
Director Marootian shared that DC has slated $60 million in the city budget for Vision Zero related changes and over $100 million for general street and traffic upgrades across the city. Though project priority is based on an urgency of need as determined by DDOT, Director Marootian confirmed that improvements to the intersection of New York and Florida Avenues is on the list as well as improvements to much of the northeast corridor of Florida Avenue, expected to begin late this fall. He also emphasized that DDOT is aiming to be more responsive to what he called “easy fixes” such as installing stop signs at local to local intersections and encouraged residents to continue to reach to DDOT with concerns, suggestions and questions. Director Marootian can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transportation and Public Space (TPS)
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to approve a plan for identifying potential bikeshare locations by collecting suggestions from residents through their Commissioners, soliciting suggestions via the ANC website and requesting data from DDOT that may aid in making informed decisions. A similar plan was approved for compiling a list of potential 4-way local to local intersections in need of stop signs.
- The commissioners voted to send a letter to Associate Director Marcou and the Public Space Committee to oppose the resubmitted permit application #324283 to extend eight driveways through public space to allow access to the alley lots located behind the 17Solar Condo property at 410-417 17th Street NE.
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter to DDOT in support of a revised construction permit application (tracking # 289052) at 1250 Constitution Avenue NE (Maury ES).
Alcohol Beverage Licensing (ABL)
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to protest the license renewal of Smith Commons DC LLC t/a Smith Commons (1245 H Street NE) unless the ANC and Smith Commons can reach an agreement concerning reasonable trash mitigation and linen storage measures, and to authorize the ANC to be represented in this matter by the ABL Co-Chairs, ANC Chair, and ANC Vice Chair.
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to protest the license renewal of DC Conscious Cafe LLC t/a DC Conscious Cafe (1413 H Street NE) if the ABL Committee recommends a protest at its May 21, 2019 meeting, and to authorize the ANC to be represented in this matter by the ABL Co-Chairs, ANC Chair, and ANC Vice Chair.
- The ANC protests the license renewal of Gallery O, LLC t/a Gallery O on H (1354 H Street NE) if the ABL Committee recommends a protest at its May 21, 2019 meeting, and that the ANC to be represented in this matter by the ABL Co-Chairs, ANC Chair, and ANC Vice Chair.
Economic Development and Zoning (EDZ)
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of conditional support to the Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) for a special exception for the 1:1 setback and height requirements to construct a rooftop deck for a dwelling at 1323 Rear Linden Court NE (BZA 20030) with the condition that the applicant make best efforts to get letters of support from surrounding neighbors.
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to Mr. Clifford Dixon, Permit Expeditor regarding permits for an after-hours permit application that would allow work by the Eliot-Hine Middle School construction team to start at 6:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday and for authorization to work on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day and Veterans Day to meet the construction schedule.
- The commissioners voted, unanimously, to send a letter of support to DDOT in response to the Notice(s) of Intent for installation of all-way stops to 8th and A Streets NE (#19-51- TOA) and 8th and D Streets NE (#19-53-TOA)
- Commissioner Zimny reminded the ANC that as the weather warms, residents are able to apply to have their blocks shut down for block parties, neighborhood events or just to have some space for kids to play. More information can be found at dc.gov/page/neighborhood-block-parties.
- Commissioner Gove urged residents to send in 311 tickets when necessary. Anyone can text 311 by sending a message to DC311 (32311) to submit a service request or get an update on an existing ticket as well as through the 311 mobile app or online at 311.dc.gov. She also encouraged homeowners to take advantage of the security camera rebate program run through the DC government. This program provides substantial rebates to qualified residents and private business owners when installing street-facing security cameras on their properties. More information is available at ovsjg.dc.gov/service/private-security-camera-system-incentive-program.
- The Capital Hill Community Foundation is helping to raise funds for Eastern High School’s marching band, the Blue and White Marching Machines to replace the band’s decade old formal uniforms. Their goal is to raise $90,000 through community donations. The National Capital Bank has agreed to donate matching funds for the first $10,000. To donate visit capitolhillcommunityfoundation.com/eastern-high-school.
Visit www.anc6a.org for calendar of events, changes of date/venue, agendas and other information.