Small cell installation throughout the District is coming soon to a street pole, perhaps near you. Neighbors have questions about the safety, aesthetics and guidelines, and Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 6B Commissioner Jennifer Samolyk (6B01) has called a meeting this Wednesday evening to address concerns.
The District has already entered into Master License Agreements (MLA) allowing five communications companies, including AT&T, Verizon, Extenet, Mobilitie and Crown Castle, to install the units throughout the city. The MLAs allow the companies to install wireless telecommunication antennae and equipment (small cell) units on cobra-neck street light poles and wooden utility poles or to install new, stand-alone poles on streets and named alleys, but does not allow units to be installed on Washington Globe light poles.
ANC 6B Chair Chander Jayaraman said that his understanding is that if the cellular companies meet the guidelines set by the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) they do not require approval from the ANC, only to give notice of installation. Commissioner Samolyk said that she had been informed that at least four units were to be installed in her Single Member District alone, on the 100 block of North Carolina Avenue SE, the 200 block of C Street SE and the 100 block of E Street SE.
Representatives from telecommunications companies are expected to attend the meeting and provide clarification about the equipment and its installation to residents and commissioners, said ANC 6B Chair Chander Jayaraman.
Invited Guests include:
- DC Council Member for Ward 6 Charles Allen, CAllen@dccouncil.us
- District Department of Transportation (DDOT) Director Jeffrey Marootian, firstname.lastname@example.org
- DDOT Associate Director of Public Space Regulation Administration Matthew Marcou, email@example.com
- DDOT Arborist Steve McKindley-Ward, firstname.lastname@example.org
- DDOT Public Space Permit Office Public Space Manager Garrett Elliott, email@example.com
- Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO) Project Manager, David Clow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- At&T Mobility Senior Real Estate and Construction Manager Genelle Newhard, email@example.com and Jennifer Van Riper firstname.lastname@example.org from AT&T Mobility
- Verizon Director External Affairs Mario Acosta-Velez, email@example.com with David Gray, firstname.lastname@example.org and Brian Stover also from Verizon email@example.com
- Crown Castle Manager RF Engineering J.D McCloskey JD.McCloskey@CrownCastle.com with
Government Affairs Manager Carly Didden, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Network Building and Consulting Project Manager, Jeff Javier, email@example.com
The meeting will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday, June 12 at the first floor Conference Room at The Yards workspace (700 Pennsylvania Ave. SE). All are welcome.